Thursday 8 October 2015

Marina Muun




Marina Muun's work has a subtle but definite scientific theme running through out it. I came across her work when searching for petri dishes in art and saw that she was using the circular composition in a way that I had not thought about before.

The thing that I like about this piece is that she has not made the images look as if they are in a petri dish but instead just used the circle to enclose the images and keep them from one another. All of the images within the circles are quite chaotic or distressing, the people are either trapped or bringing their hands to their face as if they are upset. The fact that the image is circular places emphasis on this emotion because it makes you look at the person through tunnel vision, places all focus on them and making you think about how they are feeling. This tunnel vision effect is something that I think would work well in my map as it mimics the view through a telescope - reminding me of the sea. 

The image shows a lot of natural disasters, I think the way that they are shown in such a satisfying and uniformed way gives the image a sense of irony as natural disasters cant be contained into something that is satisfying. The playful use of colour can also distract the attention away from the distressing nature of the images. At first glance it is easy to over look what is going on in the images much like it is easy to over look these kinds of stories when we hear about them in the news. The colour of this piece really plays a big role in the message behind it and the ways it can be interpreted.

What would I like the colour scheme of my piece to be?
What do I want to portray? 


No comments:

Post a Comment